Fervent: Prayer Strategy for Identity
Have you put together your prayer strategy for focus? I hope so! This week we are moving on to Prayer Strategy number three, Identity! If you're just joining us, come on in! We're working through the book, Fervent by Priscilla Shirer. If you want to purchase the book you can do so through this affiliate link by clicking here. (This post contains an affiliate link, which provides me with a small compensation when you purchase your book through my link. Thank you so much for supporting my small business!)
So what is identity? Identity is the fact of being who or what a person or thing is. Our identity is who we are. I know this prayer strategy will be one I go back to often. It is so easy to tie our worth or place our identity in things other than Jesus Christ. The enemy is constantly trying to make us feel less than worthy and/or tie our worth to wordly things like money or success. So why is praying for identity so important?
As Priscilla says in the book, "Fervent prayer keeps your true identity in focus. It reminds us of who we really are and taps into the power we really have in Christ." And that my friends, is why praying for your identity is so important. When we start to believe the lies of the enemy, we stop believing who we are in Christ. And if you've ever felt less than, or not worthy, or incapable, or unqualified, or not good enough then the enemy has been hard at work trying to make you feel like anything other than a daughter of the King. I think as women, this is something that most of us struggle with pretty often. We are quick to compare ourselves to one another and wish we looked more like someone else, or had the talents of someone else, or had the career of someone else, or even the life of someone else. And that is so dangerous, friends. When we are constantly comparing ourselves to one another, we are slowly picking away at who we are, who God created us to be. Turn your Bible to Ephesians Chapter 1 and read through verses 1-23. You should pick up on some of the attributes of who we are in Christ. To name a few (also on pg 58 of the book if you're following along):
- equipped through Christ with every spiritual blessing
- chosen in him before the foundation of the world
- adopted through the kind intention of His will
- redeemed and forgiven, lavished with grace
- recipients of a glorious inheritance in heaven
- secured forever by the Holy Spirit of promise
Here are some more scriptures where you can affirm who you are in Christ.
- I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ unto good works. Ref. Ephesians 2:10
- I am a joint-heir with Christ. Ref. Romans 8:17
- I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people. Ref. 1 Peter 2:9
- I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood. Ref. Ephesians 1:7
- I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude. Ref. Colossians 2:7
- I am chosen of God, holy and dearly loved. Ref Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4
- I am loved. Ref. 1 John 4:10
Add some of these scriptures to your war binder so you can recite them to yourself. The more we can speak these affirmations aloud, the better chance they have of becoming imprinted on our hearts! And when we are rooted in truth, we will be much less likely to believe the lies of the enemy.
God needs us to know who we are in him so we can boldly go forth and do the work he has called us to. It's time we stop allowing the enemy to determine our worth and cripple our confidence. We are each made in the image of God. He has called us and chosen each of us for a specific purpose. Do not let the enemy come between you and God's will for you life, friend!
Are you ready to reclaim your identity in Christ! To get started, here are some scriptures you might consider adding into your prayer strategy for identity. These scriptures, plus more, are listed in the book on pages 68-70 if you're following along.
- We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. -Ephesians 2:10
- Look to the rock from which you were hewn and to the quarry from which you were dug. -Isaiah 51:1
- Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me. -Isaiah 49:16
- You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possessions, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. -1 Peter 2:9
Go ahead and grab you Prayer Journal and craft your prayer strategy for IDENTITY. Remember, if you don't have a journal, you can download this Prayer Journal that I created specifically for this study and use it throughout the series!
As I mentioned last week, I'll be sharing my prayers with you to serve as inspiration as you work to craft your very own! Here is my prayer for my identity.
I'm praying for you as you work to reclaim your identity in Christ! See you next week as we dive into prayer strategy number four on FAMILY!
Rooted in the love of Jesus,
P.S. I would just love to keep in touch with you and get to know you better! If you would love that too, click the button below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE PRETTIES!